Sunday, June 10, 2012

Aunt Erma

I attended the funeral for my Aunt Erma on Wednesday. Funerals are always so interesting because you sit and reflect about your relationship with the person who is being honored. Sometimes I think, Who are they talking about! As I looked at the picture they had displayed on a video projector at the front of the church I went back in time and remembered what she had meant to me. Aunt Erma had a way of making everyone feel like they were very important and special to her. I remember being shocked when I found out other people thought they were Aunt Erma's favorite. I just knew that I was the only one that she adored. She raised four rowdy boys and since I was the first girl born she made sure I was pampered. As a little girl she would take me to the beauty shop where she would have them give me a perm and since it took such a long time they always served me a lunch with a grilled cheese sandwich. I loved my perms until a girl at school asked me one time why my hair was always so "old-fashioned." I didn't have an answer because I thought I looked amazing with my Shirley Temple hair do. Aunt Erma sold Tupperware and I was her associate for many of her parties. I remember getting in the car with her and driving to unknown destinations where we would unpack and set up her display of the various containers and gadgets that she would convince women that they couldn't live without. She was am amazing salesperson and she rose to the top of the Tupperware organization in the Phoenix area. I smile when I think of us taking those trips together and I literally talked her leg off there and back. I still remember complaining that my mom wouldn't let me shave my legs and didn't she think that was terrible. She just smiled at me and let me continue to ramble on. Later in life she worked for the State of Arizona. She managed to move up there as well. When I was in grade school I would leave school at lunch time and walk over to her house which involved crossing the now freeway that runs through Phoenix. I knew I didn't need an invitation and that if I showed up she would give me a big hug and feed me lunch. As an adult I didn't spend much time with Aunt Erma because we didn't live in Phoenix but whenever I did see her she always made me feel special.

1 comment: