Thursday, July 5, 2012

Movie

I did something that I have never done before--but know that I should have.  I walked out of a movie.  I sat there for way to long thinking it would get better and then realizing that I could not expect the Holy Ghost to remain with me while I sat in the darkness both physically and spiritually.  When that thought came to me I walked out. 

On Sunday I watched a rebroadcast of Women's Conference in which Sister Elaine Dalton and her daughter spoke.  Sister Dalton talked about the moral decay of the world and showed a graph of this decline.  On top of the world's decay she showed religious people were also experiencing a decline even though we were not within the world's moral compass.  Today I understood more about what that really meant as I came to understand that I am lowering my standards sometimes by accepting the standards of other people's ratings.  I would never watch an R rated movie but I worry that I am not spending enough time evaluating what a PG-13 rating means.  As long as we watch the junk that is often put out there we are condoning profanity, vulgarity, and mediocrity of filmmakers.  They need to offer so much more than we get and we need to expect so much more than we do.  Since I have retired I have enjoyed numerous wonderful movies and I am making a commitment to myself that I will not allow myself to be part of the worst of so called entertainment.

1 comment: