Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Unexpected!

In February I was called to serve as a den mother for Cub Scout Pack 856.  I gladly accepted but was quickly overwhelmed trying to learn everything and organize the program so that it would be enjoyable for the boys and doable for me.  I have to say that this has been one of the most "joyful" experiences that I have ever had.  There are a number of reasons but one of the main ones has been that the boys are so sweet and appreciative of anything that you do for them.  I now look at everything with a thought in the back of my mind "I think the boys would like that!"  How grateful I am that I have been given this challenge.  I have learned much about myself and in some ways I have been proud of what we are accomplishing together.  The sad part about this is that the boys grow up and go away.  I have lost my first two Webelos and have honestly been pained at their leaving.  Who would have thought that would happen.  I have said for some time that as senior citizens we need to step up to the plate--we are healthier and are living much longer than in years past and even if we retire from a job we can't retire from life.  I am now one of those people who find that although I am exhausted after each meeting, I am also invigorated with the fun that the boys and I had together.  What a joyful journey I am on!

No comments:

Post a Comment