Sunday, July 6, 2014

Waiting

In the early fall Scott and I attended a meeting at the Sunset Hills ward.  The speakers were Bob and Barbara Casady and they were talking about the mission they had just completed in Albania.  When it was over both Scott and I were so impressed and inspired by their message that we decided that it was time to make a commitment and serve a mission.  For us that meant that Scott would need to retire.  Thrown into the mix was Amy's pregnancy which created complications requiring her bed rest until early January.  From October until Christmas I spent the week in Gilbert and then would come home on the weekend to see Scott.  That was fine because we didn't plan to start the official process until January because we wanted to go out at the end of August or the first of September.  The paperwork required from the missionary department was very doable and exciting and Scott and I spent several evenings getting everything typed in and ready to submit.  We applied and received our passports.  We visited our doctor, dentist, and optometrist.  We also experienced the colonoscopy required with me going one day and Scott the next.  Once that was done we submitted everything and anticipated a call soon.  We did get a call soon but from the Bishop who said there were some things that needed to be fixed.  We got that done and then took it over to Kent Christensen who was putting everything into the computer.  Unfortunately for us Kent and Emiko had left for Japan for two weeks.  Bishop Harris told us to take it instead to Brother Curry.  Fortunately, he was home and he was able to submit the paperwork for us.  The final hurdle was meeting with President Garrick which happened at the end of May.  He promised to submit his part the next morning so we got so excited that the process was almost complete.

It is now July and we are still excitedly waiting.  Not always patiently waiting!  Ed Hamlin teased us one Sunday that we were having buyers remorse and in some ways that was true.  Scott and I both want to serve and have anticipated our calling for months but the wait is wearing us both down.  I have begun to wonder if we really can do this.  Maybe the mission department doesn't want us.  How will I be without our grandkids for 18 months?  Can we really afford to do this?  Is Scott's memory getting worse?  Alright--I am dramatic.  Not knowing is hard and once we know where we are going all the doubts will be silenced and anticipation will replace the worry.  Fortunately my special friend Barb Walker and my brother Bill have been the voice of reason for me.

Where will we go?  I have no idea, but I am trying hard to remember how excited Scott and I were as we left the Tuscola building that fall Sunday with a desire in our heart to be missionaries.  We will go and we will be able to have a great adventure and even more important we get to do it together.  What more could I ask for?

1 comment:

  1. You will be wonderful no matter where you are asked to go! The only problem is there are a lot of us here that will miss you terribly.

    ReplyDelete