Sunday, October 19, 2014

A Tale of Two Cities


I have been inspired by my grandchildren who are all avid readers.  In the past few months I have decided that I need to do more reading and have thoroughly enjoyed various types of genre.  I have always been a mystery buff enjoying novels by Mary Higgins Clark, Ann Perry and several others, but as I have listened to my kids and grandkids I decided it was time to branch out!  Since I am reading more I decided it was time to do some book reports!  Hope you enjoy my reviews.

I finished reading A Tale of Two Cities and although there was a point when I called Amy and asked "are you sure about this book" she told me not to give up because I would love it.  She was right.  Keeping the characters straight was a little difficult for me but in the end it all made perfect sense.  How could I not appreciate the beginning "It was the best of times--it was the worst of times..." and when I was almost done reading I was so impressed with the following quote..."Along the Paris streets, the death-carts rumble, hollow and harsh.  Six tumbrils carrying the day's wine to La Guillotine.  All the devouring and insatiate Monsters imagined since imagine could record itself, are fused in the one realisation, Guillotine.  And yet there is not in France, with its rich variety of soil and climate, a blade, a leaf, a root, a spring, a peppercorn, which will grow to maturity under conditions more certain than those that have produced this horror.  Crush humanity out of shape once more, under similar hammers, and it will twist itself into the same tortured forms. Sow the same seed of rapacious license and oppression over again, and it will surely yield the same fruit according to its kind."  I have been blessed to enjoy the good fruits of so many others labor--my parents, my church leaders, my husband, my children, my friends.  I have shared in great experiences because of the great people I have been blessed to know.  In my job I have seen children's lives so disrupted because of their parents inability to provide 'good fruit' for their children because they never knew what that was either. And yet every person has the ability to decide that they will be the one who stops what has been happening and change the end of their story if they are willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen.  Carton did that.

No comments:

Post a Comment