Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Dead People!

 After going to the mission office to report in we headed to Concord to see the apartment that the mission office had rented for us.  As we drove up the road we passed a huge huge cemetery and then a little farther down we passed another one on the other side of the road.  Scott looked at me and said "I think there are more dead people here than live ones!"  We had a good chuckle but honestly there are dozens of cemeteries  here and they are all quite beautiful.  Granite is quarried around here and the tombstones on so many of the graves are quite beautiful and very artistic.  In working with probates I often see the cost of a headstone which was around $150 back in the 1860s.  I'm sure they are way more expensive than that now.  When we have a nice spring day I plan to go back and just look at dates and what is written on them.  I feel another blog post coming! Years ago I went with my parents to a family reunion in Texas and we visited the grave site of my grandmother and grandfather.  I had loved reading some of the sayings on the headstones and want to do that here.   On Sunday after church I told Scott I wanted to go take pictures of some of the cemeteries to show you what they are like.  It just so happens that the New Hampshire Veterans Cemetery is located just outside of Concord so we went there as well.  Beautiful area to honor the sacrifices of so many soldiers.  I didn't know until my dad died that when you are buried in a military cemetery they have emblems that are etched on the headstone that tells what your religious preference was.
 My dad has the Angel Moroni on his.  After taking some pictures I said that we should see if any Mormon soldiers were buried and sure enough I found one.  I included a picture so you could see what I mean.  Anyway I hope you will enjoy my fascination with grave yards.  It is like walking on                                                                              




No comments:

Post a Comment