Thursday, October 16, 2014

Kindred Spirits

I got a letter from Meggie this week.  I had written earlier and told her about the interesting houses around here.  In her letter she wrote,  "You are lucky to get to see all of those old houses, there is probably a lot of history with them.  Old things are very interesting."  That was the best part of the letter for me.  I do love old things (especially Grandpa!) and I often spend time thinking about what kind of stories those houses could tell.  I am so excited to know that my granddaughter thinks about the same things I do.  Now that we are in New Hampshire the history is just amazing around here.  Down the road from us is the state prison which was built in 1893 and looks every day its age with red bricks and small windows.  I think Charles Dickens could have used it in one of his novels.  I often think about what choices those people made to get themselves into such a foreboding place.   I see houses that were obviously built by very wealthy people and then the humble houses of the working man.  I wonder what the stories would say.  Were they happy?  Did they have big families?  How many soldiers left for war from that house?  Yes I do wonder, and now I know that Meg does too!

No comments:

Post a Comment