Thursday, October 9, 2014

Missionary Moments #4--September 28, 2014

Hello Family and Friends!  It has been such a long time since we started our mission, especially without dependable internet.  We are in Penacook, New Hampshire (a small town connected to Concord) and we arrived a week ago Friday.  The apartment that we moved into was really nice but we spent a week on an air mattress (I confess we gave up one night and got a hotel so we could have a good nights rest!) two folding chairs and a folding table.  On Friday our furniture arrived and the most wonderful bed.  Life is much more doable when you have a good nights sleep.  On Tuesday we were able to get connected to the internet but it has taken me this long to sit down and send out an update!  When we got our mission call my Brother emailed me and told me how much I was going to love being here.  He said, "you won't leave church on Sunday without a dinner invitation" which I smiled at.  We attended church our first Sunday in Concord at the Penacook ward.  Imagine my delight when we sit down and realize it is the primary program.  I have to admit I shed a few tears during that presentation.  What a comfort it is to know that wherever we have gone that when we attend our church meetings we are always welcomed with open arms and a sacrament meeting, Sunday school, and Relief Society or Priesthood meeting just like we had experienced in our home ward.  A quick story--During the primary program the first little boy about three or four climbed up on the stand pulled the mike down to say his part then paused a second--he then opened his mouth, spit out a piece of candy and then handed it to the Primary counselor who was helping the kids with their parts.  He proceeded to say part and when finished he took his candy back, popped it in his mouth, and went and sat down!  When the meeting ended several people came up to introduce themselves and welcome us to New Hampshire.  Before I left the chapel we were instructed that dinner would be served at 5 p.m. at the Tinker home and we were to be there.  We went!  And we had such a nice visit and a wonderful home cooked meal of chicken and dumplings.  Now mind you I have to know days ahead that someone is coming to dinner so this especially touched my heart.  Thanks Bill, for your inspired predictions!  On Tuesday we drove to Boston to meet with Elder and Sister Duke who are working at the National Archives.  They spent the morning working with us on preserving crew logs of sailors who had sailed on ships in the 1840s and 1850s.  They told us that as a result of their work one of the interns at the archive was looking at their digital pictures and noticed a crew log with Herman Melville (of Moby Dick fame) signed on to sail.  The page is now on display in the archive.  After a morning of work we loaded up our camera equipment, had lunch with them, and then we headed back to our mission area.  On Thursday morning we began working in the archives here in Concord.  Our supervisor set up the equipment while we worked with Tim (a member of the church but a paid contractor) in getting records ready to be photographed.  On Friday morning we continued more of the same work.  On Friday at 3:45 two young Elders showed up at our apartment and with the help of our local missionaries (who live across the hall from us--yes we are sooo lucky!) all the furniture was in our apartment in about 30 minutes.  It took me a lot longer than that to get everything put away!  Tonight I am sitting in our cute little apartment with Grandpa lounging on a overstuffed chair enjoying the cool night air.  We have been so blessed and this morning in church the Gospel Doctrine teacher had us read Isaiah 42:6 and in that scripture the words hit home to me when I read "I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people...".  I know that He has held my and grandpa's hand and he has also wiped away a few tears when we needed Him to.  This mission is teaching me much about myself and I feel a refining each day.  Patience is going to become one of my strengths.  I testify to all of you that the gospel is true, how blessed my life has been from the time Barbara Catenzaro talked to my mom as they hung clothes and visited across the fence.  We love you all, we think of you continually.  We pray for Eden who has a bad case of Chicken Pox but also has a new tooth and can clap and wave as of this week.  LIFE IS GOOD!! Love, Grandpa and Grandma, Mom and Dad, Elder and Sister Duncan.

P.S.  Thank you Will for the sweet note I found in my crockpot this morning (I know the gospel is true, too) and I loved the gum!  Thank you Abby for the sweet letter you wrote.  Grandpa and I checked the mail this morning and were so excited when we saw you had written.

No comments:

Post a Comment