Friday, October 10, 2014

Missionary Moments #5--October 5, 2014

Dear Family,  We have completed our first official week at the New Hampshire archives.  It was neat to handle records from the 1860s.  Right now we are starting on a new project which involves another county in New Hampshire while our co-workers and fellow church members, the Mayfields, continue on the records they were doing.  They are in the C's now and before we started the new county we were able to get two boxes ready to have their pictures taken.  The Mayfields are paid for each picture they take so this helped them a lot.  Tim has been great to share his knowledge with us.  Another record preservationist from Queens, New York came down to work with us on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, but we feel confident enough to start doing our own work.  Keep your fingers crossed!  The people at the archives have been so welcoming to us.  Last Tuesday we ate lunch with two volunteers who come each week.  When they saw our badges one of the ladies mentioned she was having trouble with her research using the Family Search program.  We told her about a conference our stake is putting on on October 25th and invited her to come.  She said she would like that and her co-volunteer said she would like to come as well.  I was able to get a flyer for each of them and we will give it to them when we see them on Tuesday.  I have to say the people here are so friendly.  Restaurants, grocery store, businesses all make you feel so welcome.  The checker at the grocery store wanted to know why we would leave California and come here.  I explained that we were going to be preserving records at the archives for the next 18 months.  He thought that was great.  They are also very fascinated that we have 20 grandkids.  We have settled into our apartment and I am slowing making it home.  Yesterday between conference I decorated our balcony for Halloween.  I will be putting a picture of it on the blog.  The blog is now started but not up to date.  I hope to add something each evening this week if I can.  I have so much I want to share but we are so tired when we get home that I don't always get around to it.  I am going to send out a group email letting everyone know they can check it out if they are interested.  In case you don't know my blog address it is elainesjoyfuljourney.blogspot.com  It has been nice to hear from some of you.  Thanks for thinking of us.  Uncle Bill and Aunt Bev just completed their first year and will be heading home in the spring.  I have to say that I have been surprised at how fast the last month has gone.  I am hoping we stay busy so our time goes by quickly.  Conference was great this weekend.  It made me feel good to know that you were all watching it at the same time we were.  At least twice a year I will know what most of my grandkids are doing!!!  Thank you Ben for calling tonight.  That was the completion of a perfect weekend.  We love you all.  Mom and Dad, Grandpa and Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment