Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wonder

We have a young man in our ward named Owen who is a senior in high school and is quite a cutie and very friendly.  Earlier this month he was made the local high school's Homecoming King.  He also has Downs Syndrome. When they announced it in our Sunday School class everyone started clapping and cheering.  I was delighted at the response of everyone in our ward at Owen's opportunity to represent his school.  This experience made me appreciate even more the book I had just finished reading,  Wonder by R. J. Palacio about a ten year old boy who was born with a very rare birth defect which caused his face to be severely deformed.    The book starts with his parents deciding that he needs to go to school instead of being schooled at home.  My granddaughter Ruth who is in fifth grade had to read the book in her class and she had told me that it was a great book and I should read it.  I try to listen to my grandkids!  It was a great book and although painful at times, well worth your time.  I have worked at a school long enough to know that most kids are kind but often we focus on the bullies and lump all children into that group.  The principal was a very wise man which I have also seen in my career and I loved the things that were done to make Auggie's experience a positive one.

Here were some of my favorite quotes from the book.  Auggie's mom--"There are always going to be jerks in the world, Auggie...but I really believe...that there are more good people on this earth than bad people and the good people watch out for each other and take care of each other."  Quote (from The Little White Bird by J.M. Barrie)--"Shall we make a new rule in life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary?" Mr. Tushman (the principal) "The best way to measure how much you've grown isn't by inches...It is what you've done with your time, how you've chosen to spend your days, and whom you have touched this year. That...is the greatest measure of success."  Quote (Ian Maclaren) "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."  Quote (Dr. Wayne W. Dyer) "When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind."  If you haven't read this book I hope you will.  It was a great read.

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely going to get that book! It might be good for Noah!

    ReplyDelete