Monday, December 29, 2014

A Brief Glimpse

Because we have much to do during the day we don't spend time browsing through the various documents. We wish we could!  Every once in a while something will catch my eye as I straighten out a document. When I see something interesting I usually write a little story in my mind about what the person was like, how they may have felt, or what happened to them in their life.   In wills there is usually an introduction and then they number each of the bequeaths with an explanation.  Last week I noticed the following declaration from a will.

                    First, I will my immortal soul back to the Almighty given thereof beseeching                                                                      Him through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ,                                                                                my Redeemer to be graciously pleased to accept it,                                                                                            my body I desire to be buried by my wife.

From this I surmised (impressive word) that he was a widower, was religious, and had an impressive ability to prioritize the most important things.  I wonder if he was as religious as he sounded and as humble as his request made him seem.  In my brief glimpse I didn't see that he was a member of the clergy but did notice that he left some of his estate to a local church specifically to help the poor in the area.  I am going to choose to believe that he was a really nice man!

No comments:

Post a Comment