Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Looking Back--to Move Forward

Scott Perry Duncan
Our grandson Perry who is a senior in high school received his patriarchal blessing from Brother Tenney our Stake Patriarch last week.  In the Church we believe that every worthy, baptized member is entitled to and should receive a patriarchal blessing, which provides inspired direction from the Lord. Patriarchal blessings include a declaration of a person's lineage in the house of Israel and contain personal counsel from the Lord.  It has made me think about receiving my blessing when I was senior as well. My brother was gone at that time and my parents weren't active in the Church so I went by myself.  I had no idea what to expect but had heard it was important to receive this special counsel.  I remember him putting his hands on my head and then listened as he began to tell me things about myself that I had never thought of--and yet made perfect sense.  I wasn't there for long but when I left I had felt like a burden had been lifted and I was given information I needed to help my parents at that time and information that would strengthen me as a parent in the coming years.  It was one of those "tipping points" that would give me additional vision and provide a more meaningful purpose in my life.  As I drove away from that appointment I began to cry and cried most of the way home.  I realized that day that Heavenly Father knew me and even more important, He believed in me.  I am glad that Perry participated in this ordinance and our other grandchildren will have the opportunity to receive their patriarchal blessings when the time is right.  For me it made all the difference.  On the Church website it reminds us that us that as we study our patriarchal blessing and follow the counsel it contains, it will provide guidance, comfort, and protection.  I know that is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment