Monday, December 29, 2014

Most Popular Names List

Okay I admit there is nothing scientific about my list but it is a good list of the most often used names of people on the probate files.  I started jotting down names when I noticed the ones that were used most often. In previous posts I shared some of the unusual names I found so now I'll share the other end of the spectrum. I call this the top 15 names for girls and the top 10 names for boys in the 1800s.  I say boys and girls but realistically most of these probate people were over 50!

Girl Names--Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary, Ruth, Katie, Lydia, Martha, Hannah, Polly, Abigail, Nancy, Judith, Susan, Eliza, and Harriet.

Boy Names--Jacob, William, David, John, Charles, Henry, Thomas, Robert, James, and Richard.

As you see many of these names were often from the scriptures.  Here are more names that specifically come from the Old and New Testament that I noted when I was writing names--Moses, Meshach, Theophilus, Abner, Zebulon, Levi, Daniel, Annanias, Nathan, Enoch, and Amos.  Since I almost had a grandson name Theophilus I was enchanted!

No comments:

Post a Comment