Monday, January 26, 2015

Back to Normal

My very wise granddaughter Rachel recommended this book and I am so glad I listened to her advice.  Working in the school for so many years I have had serious concerns about the quickness of labeling children as having ADHD or Autism.  Dr. Gnaulati put into words many of the experiences I had dealt with since I often worked with children who had serious social issues and definitely gave teachers a run for their money.  I am not opposed to medication but I don't believe many of the children taking it should be.  Another thing I really liked in reading this book was his recognition that boys and girls are different.  DUH!  Most of us know that but our society has become so gender neutral that they are hurting both the girls and the boys.  I appreciated the different aspects of a child's actions and understanding what is a serious issue and what requires more nurturing, directing, and encouraging.  He also talked about the tendency for narcissism in many of the children.  I definitely experienced that in a number of ways when I dealt with a difficult child and often a difficult parent.  Please take some time to read this book.  It may help you, your child, or your grandchild understand what can be done so they can have positive life experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment