Sunday, January 18, 2015

Bird Watching

Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary
One of the places we wanted to see on our trip to Cape Cod was a wildlife sanctuary on the far north end of the long, thin cape. I thought the birds they would be highlighting would be water birds, like albatross, pelicans, various types of gulls, kestrels, etc. but the birds that I saw were familiar birds, like cardinals, blue jays, and lots of chickadees. There was another small, brown bird, called a field sparrow. There were lots of trees, like maples, spruces and poplars, several types of pines, cattails, scrub oak, huckleberries and other berries.
I paid my three dollars, and went into the inside area with a glass wall and there was  bird seed and the birds were having a good time eating. In this area watching the birds was a family of people, including a young man with a Boy Scout uniform. I asked him what rank he was and he said he was a Tenderfoot. I encouraged him to keep going in Scouts and to achieve higher ranks. We didn't have a lot of time to follow the trails, and it was getting late in the afternoon, so I went back to the car. While I was bird watching Elaine was napping!  We plan to go back in warmer weather and spend more time at this sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment