Thursday, January 15, 2015

Elizabeth Street

I just finished reading this book and it was really interesting.  I totally believe that truth always beats fiction and reading this book reminded me again about how little I know.  Did you know that there was an earthquake in Italy in 1908 and a subsequent tsunami that followed which killed 123,000 people?  I sure didn't.  This book was a story of a family from a little fishing village in Italy.  The husband comes to America and is killed a short time later.  His young wife follows after his death and works to discover what happened.  The story is wonderful and painful!  When I finished reading it I saw in her acknowledgements at the end of the book this wonderful statement.  "My research started in the genealogy library of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Countless hours were spent searching through microfilm records to create our family tree.  Now, because of the efforts of a hundred thousand volunteers, many of these records are online at www.familysearch.org."  If you read this book you will learn about the Black Hand, kidnapping of a child, strength of a mother, and the ability to move forward no matter what is put in your path.  Let me know what you think if you have time to read Elizabeth Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment