Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Nazi Officer's Wife

While home for the day I was able to finish reading a great book The Nazi Officer's Wife written by Edith Hahn Beer.  This is a true story and as I was reading it I realized that I was gritting my teeth.  The story was about a Jewish girl who was living a pretty idyllic life in Austria as Hitler came to power.  You are able to see the subtle changes and then the blatant mistreatment of the Jewish population.  Edith Hahn shares her story so her daughter will understand what her history was.  Although it is painful to see what she and others went through I believe this is an important book to read especially at a time when religions are under attack in so many ways.  Although I have read much about the Holocaust this was a different aspect because she was able to hide in plain sight and managed to move forward with the help of both Jew and Gentile.  I believe this is a definite must read for history buffs.

1 comment: