Thursday, January 22, 2015

War Brides

I just finished reading War Brides written by Helen Bryan. Totally enjoyed the experience.  It was just a pleasure read although I learned much about the war in England from the story that was told.  There was a quote in the book that made me think of my mom and other women of her generation.  The author wrote, "The women who stayed at home are the ones we rarely hear about, those women who kept the home fires burning even while they added the burden of war work to a busy life.  They were wives, daughters, sisters, and mothers, who worried about loved one fighting far away in the armed forces..."  I remember the stories my mom told us about going back and forth across the United States on a train to spend time with my dad before he shipped out to Europe.  She moved back home with her parents bringing a baby boy with her.  She worked at the phone company in Phoenix and other jobs during that time and my Grandma helped with my brother Bill.  The story was about five women who came together during that critical time in history and shared glimpses of what brought them together.  Very enjoyable read if you feel like enjoying a little nostalgia from your parents past.

No comments:

Post a Comment