Sunday, February 8, 2015

Missionary Moments #23, February 8, 2015

We woke up this morning to a snowstorm that is supposed to last for two days. The interesting thing is that I am speaking in Sacrament meeting today and realized that we may be one of the few who show up.  Our ward boundaries are far reaching and many people drive up to 45 minutes to come to church so when there is a storm like this many stay home.  It is all good because my talk is ready and since church doesn't start until 1 p.m. we figure the snow plows will have been busy and we will get safely there.  Last week my brother-in-law Phil called and asked if I went to BYU.  I told him that I had.  I think he is surprised by my fascination with snow since I have been in snow before.  I smiled.  I enjoyed an occasional snow storm in Provo, and about once a year we get snow in Victorville but believe me I have never seen snow like this!  It is beautiful, it is manageable, it is cold, it is dry, and there is a lot of it! 

We got more folders in this week which was greatly appreciated and they brought out 12 more boxes of probate files for us. We felt so excited because being busy is so much nicer than looking busy.  The head of the Archives mentioned that his problem right now was finding the funding for the folders.  We hope he is able to!  

I have been working on some family history this week.  The spirit of Elijah has engulfed me as we are around so much history every day.  Lincoln asked me where our ancestors came from and I could talk about states but had no idea where most of them originally came from (except the Hickey line) so I decided it was time to go past our four generations and look a little deeper. Cathy has already been doing that for us but I decided I would try to find out more about Telulah Viola Wards family.  I did find some great information on her grandparents Wiley and Rebecca Ward.  They had seven children and all of those children lived to adulthood.  I think that is quite unique for that period of time.  I also found on the 1880 census that they had a husband and wife (in their 60's) with a child living with them.  At first I thought it was her parents  but they had a different last name. Another mystery to solve!  

No comments:

Post a Comment