Friday, March 20, 2015

The Rent Collector

This was one of the most compelling books I have read since we have come out on our mission.  Wonderful from beginning to end.  The story tells of a young mother who with her husband and baby come to live in the city dump in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.  The author Camron Wright did such a good job in making me part of the book that sometimes I could almost smell the dump, and feel the oppressiveness of their surroundings.  The relationship between the rent collector and this mother develops as they discover their need for each other.  I always keep a notepad by my books in case I find little gems that I want to share.  The first thought was taught to the young mother by the rent collector--her new teacher--when she tells her, "...the desire to believe, to look forward to better days, to want them, to expect them--it seems to be engrained in our being.  Whether we like it or not, hope is written deeply into our hearts that we just can't help ourselves, no matter how hard we try..."  It is interesting to discover the story of the rent collector and to see what happened when the Khmer Rouge took over the country.  I loved seeing the student embrace the lessons taught and her confidence grow as she came to realize that letters became words and words became ideas.  I remember that feeling when I was just a little girl.  One more thought from the book--"I distance myself from Heaven, then complain that Heaven is distant."  If you would like to read a book that will be well worth your time this is one I highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment