Sunday, July 5, 2015

Missionary Moments #44--July 5, 2015

I was surprised to realize that I hadn't posted anything on my blog for a week when I got ready to write the Missionary Moments.  I guess we have been kind of boring this week!  Actually we have been really busy and in the evening both of us are snoozing in front of the television until it is late enough to go to bed. Scott and I celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary on Friday by hitting the road and visiting Londonderry to see the grave site for Captain William Duncan who died in 1795.  With the help of the librarian in Londonderry we found the cemetery and easily located the headstone.  We saw that a son was buried by him but couldn't see any headstone for his wife Naomi Bell although there were Bells buried there.  We then headed to Beverly, MA to look for another relative but never could find the cemetery or the library.  We then decided we wanted to go to the Lexington Concord area to see where one of the first battles of the American Revolution was fought.  What a treat.  We saw a great film telling us all about Paul Revere's ride to warn the people.  We then visited several other interesting places nearby by (check the blog later to see them) and finished at the Minute Man statue.  While there we passed a couple who we heard talking about when a missionary was suppose to return and once we saw the statue we went back and introduced ourselves and visited with them for about 20 minutes.  Such a small world in the Church.  We finished off our day by driving back up a country road back into southern New Hampshire where we had dinner at Kimball Farms.  What a fun place.  There were so many people waiting to order their dinner and then another long line for those coming for the ice cream.  Next to the farm is a small airport and people regularly fly in just to have dinner and ice cream at the farm.  We enjoyed BLT sandwiches and then treated ourselves to some ice cream before we headed back to Concord.  On Saturday we drove to Hookset and enjoyed the movie Jurassic World.  Scott really liked it and I thought it was interesting but I kept having to cover my face because I couldn't stand to see the dinosaur eat another person!  We had planned to go to the church parking lot to watch fireworks but when it got time to go we decided we would just watch the Boston Pops on TV and see their fireworks. After being on the banks of the Charles River several years ago watching the fireworks in Boston and then sitting on Waikiki Beach watching the fire works I guess it was hard to get us excited about seeing the local shows.  We are now getting ready to welcome Phil and Penny and their girls for a visit.  We will be going to the Hill Cumorah pageant which we are excited to see.  

Work at the archives continues to move forward.  We are quickly approaching the end of the Rockingham County project and since we are in the 1910 to 1918 period of time the papers are in pretty good shape.  Much of the information is typed now so we are able to easily read it. In the evenings I have started doing some indexing again.  I decided to spend about an hour each night so I can help with all the work that needs to be done there.  Mostly I have been doing death records and some immigration records.  It had been a while since I did indexing so I'm hoping to get my speed up in the coming months.  It is really amazing to see the records the Church has made available to anyone who is interested in finding their ancestors.  We were sad when we heard that President Packer has passed away on Friday.  I'm sure he has had a wonderful reunion with President Hinckley and Elder Perry!  Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment