Saturday, August 15, 2015

Bill and Betty

I was thinking about my parents this week because their anniversary was coming this weekend.  I am sure they are celebrating their anniversary in heaven!  73 years ago they were married in Phoenix, Arizona.  My mom was 17 years old and my dad was 18 and they had originally planned to elope to Yuma because my Grandpa Hickey was totally opposed to their marriage.  Not because he didn't like my dad, but because he thought my mom was to young.  My mom told her mom that they were going to elope.  She asked mom to wait until she talked to Grandpa.  Grandma went down to the fire station and told him what was going on and asked him to give them permission to be married so they could be there and see them married.  She must have been convincing because he agreed to allow the marriage to take place.  They were married in her parents living room on August 15, 1942.  The picture may give you the impression that they weren't happy about the wedding but they were and in spite of the ups and downs I always knew that they loved each other very much.  Dad wasn't always an easy person to be around but no one championed him more than she did.  I am so thankful to both of them.  Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment