Sunday, August 9, 2015

Missionary Moments #49--Aug 9, 2015

Another great week with good news at the end of it.  New folders were ordered and came in so we won't have a lag in our work as we had feared might happen.  It is exciting as we approach the completion of all the probate files for Rockingham County.  We are also quickly approaching our 20,000th probate file since we started in September.  It is true that time flies when you are having fun and for us that is exciting because once this adventure is completed we begin again back in California having more.  We are already talking about what we want to do when we are home again.  

I had a thought come to me this week as I was preparing documents.  Often in the documents there is an inventory of household goods along with property owned, and money left in accounts.  I was glancing over a list of items and one thing really hit me.  The person taking the inventory listed "old rocking chair--value nothing."  I thought to myself--no, the value is priceless.  I pictured mothers and fathers holding a child on their lap singing or whispering sweet thoughts.  I thought of evenings spent outside on the porch rocking back and forth reminiscing about the day.  I thought of the old grandparents who were spent and now just quietly rocked back and forth reliving those precious memories they made over a life time.  Doing this work has really helped me to see many glimpses into the lives of people who spent their life making memories (some good and probably some not) and in the end what truly mattered was what couldn't be taken away and that is memories and knowledge gained while we approach another part of our journey ahead.  They say "one mans trash is another mans treasure" and when it comes to our journey while here we each must decide which is which.

Yesterday we drove down to Massachusetts to visit Walden Pond.  It is the second time we have been there and again the park was closed because the parking lots were full.  In the end I dropped Scott off along the side of the road and he walked over and took a few pictures of the area.  I just have to say that Henry David Thoreau obviously didn't come from the desert because if he had he would have called it Waldens Lake.  I am fascinated with all of the rivers, lakes, and streams around here--It is glorious!  Have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment