Sunday, August 23, 2015

Missionary Moments #51--Aug 23, 2015

What a great week this has been.  We took 4,352 pictures from one probate file which was quite interesting.  I looked her up on google to see if I could find out anything about her but only found where she was buried.  Her legacy (in money only) was still being shared with her posterity in 1981.  I hope her family used the money she left to them for many good things. On Tuesday we took time off from the archives and drove the sister missionaries down to the Boston Temple where we enjoyed a wonderful session.  On the way home we asked them where they would like to have lunch and they asked if we knew where the Chic-fil-a was in Nashua.  We did!  I wish you could have been in the car when they saw the sign for it.  They both squealed (literally!) for delight.  We had a wonderful lunch together and even bought some chicken nuggets to take home and share with the Elders.  It was a wonderful day.  We headed back to work after we dropped them off and got a couple of hours of work in so the day ended well.  It took us three days to captures all of the pictures from our big file and we both high-fived each other when it was done.  You learn in doing record preservation to celebrate whenever you can! 

Yesterday we had a great time visiting Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts and then continued west to Stockbridge where we spent over a delightful hour enjoying the Norman Rockwell museum.  I have always loved his paintings and I would put him right up with my other favorite artist Carl Bloch. Be sure to check the blog to see some of the great pictures of both of our activities yesterday.  I wish all of you could have come to visit us because this area is just so amazing and full of wonderful history.  I saw on Facebook where they will be dedicating the Priesthood Restoration area in Pennsylvania next month.  I wish it would have been a one day trip so we could go and enjoy seeing that.  The high adventure activity for our young men in the stake was canoeing down the Susquehanna River to that spot where they enjoyed a special experience recognizing the blessing they have been given to have the Priesthood.   When I got the mail I was excited because we got a copy of the Yankee magazine. It has an article about the "Seven Scenic Wonders of Fall" and I knew what we would be doing next month!  We have been so blessed to serve as missionaries here and I can honestly say we have both grown to love the work we are doing.  It is so much more than just opening documents and taking pictures of them.  It has been an opportunity to meet so many wonderful people who lived and survived in this country when it was so much more wild than it is now.  When we go into so many of the old houses we are struck by the darkness and primitive features and yet they made the best of it with their family.  Each person I meet as I open up their documents I have grown to admire so much.  They were amazing!

Before I close today I wanted to note something.  My brother Bill was teased by his son because he didn't put paragraphs in his letters home and I smiled when I read that.  I want you to know that I suspect many of you have thought that I am a little overboard with my use of the exclamation point!  It is true that I am.  All I can say is I can't help myself--everything here and for that matter in my life is so exciting and it is the only way I have to express my joy!!!!!  I hope you will forgive me!  Have a great week.

1 comment: