Friday, August 14, 2015

Uncle David

I recently received an email from my brother Bill.  He told me a story about David that I wanted to share. David was the kind of person who was always surrounded by friends when we were young.  He kept our parents on their toes and I think he enjoyed that!  He has the most generous nature and would literally give the shirt off of his back if he saw someone who needed it.  Although he wasn't around our family much when our kids were growing up he was really close with Bill and Bev and their family.  They all adore him and rightly so. When Amy was born and he found out, he went to JC Penneys and I think he bought her every dress that was in the baby department.  He is just a sweet man.

Back to the email!  My brother wrote, "Ryan is the scoutmaster in his ward and last week he took 12 scouts and three adult leaders on a backpacking trip around King's Peak, the highest point in Utah.  Before they left for their hike I was concerned about one of the boys getting lost so I called and asked David if he would go to the BX and buy a couple of walkie talkies for the leader in the front and the leader in the back because there is no cell phone coverage in the back country.  David said he would.  A couple days later Ryan called and said they just got a package from Fed Ex.  It contained 16 walking talkies.  One for each boy and each leader.  The cost was over $800.00.  When I tried to pay David he wouldn't accept a cent."

As it turned out, one of the boys on the hike had to answer the call of nature.  While he was in the bushes his buddy scout left with the others.  When the scout got back to the trail everyone had vanished.  Ryan said there was a panicked call on the walkie-talkie, "Can anyone hear me?"  I was so glad to hear this story with such a happy ending!  My brother is awesome!
Left to right--Bill, Elaine, and David

No comments:

Post a Comment