Sunday, October 11, 2015

Missionary Moments #58--Oct 11, 2015

We are back to a regular routine again and it is feeling good to know that we are contributing to the record preservation of Hillsborough County.  Although we are not meeting the capture goal we were able to in Rockingham we are certainly able to understand how different the work is when you are working with documents from 1770 to 1830. 

It has been an interesting week for us.  The weather is definitely cooling down and I have retired my flip flops and capris that I was wearing on the weekend.  The leaves are almost completely changed to their vibrant reds, oranges, and yellows but I have to admit that knowing what is coming next does have me not enjoying it as much as I did last year!  Yesterday we spent the morning at Mack's Apple Farm in southern New Hampshire where we enjoyed seeing the wonderful bounty of pumpkins, apples, gourds, squash, and pears.  They had a gift shop with everything apple available for purchase with of course, maple syrups and honey products.  They had a pond on their property and the fish were jumping out of the water to eat popcorn that kids had thrown in the water.  I actually saw "fishes jumping right before my eyes!" From Londonderry we headed over for our treat of Chick-fil-a in Nashua before heading home for a nap.  After a short rest we headed towards central New Hampshire for the Columbus Day Event which is held each Columbus Day weekend in Sandwich, New Hampshire.  I have posted pictures for a couple of things we saw.  It was a big fair without the quilts and produce that I always love to see but they definitely had every food booth you could want and if you needed to buy a tractor you came to the right place.  My favorite was definitely the oxen as you will see if you check the blog.

Yesterday Ava was baptized in California and at the end of the month Will is going to be baptized.   Although we missed being at Jane and Ava's baptism and will miss being at Will's we are proud of each of you for choosing to be baptized.  I hope that you had a great experience Ava and I was glad that your Nana and Papa and some of your other relatives were able to come and support you!  I can't wait to see the pictures!

Before I close today I wanted to share an experience with you.  Scott has a real problem with a sore neck and by the end of the day I can always tell he is hurting even though he doesn't complain.  When I would see him rubbing his neck I knew that was because he was in a lot of pain but when I would ask him about it he always responds that he was getting by.  Since being here he has taken a lot of medication for the pain and usually needs a mild sleeping pill to sleep through the night.  One of the things that I have been working on while we have been serving is that I asked Heavenly Father to help me be a better person so I could improve.  In one of my conversations I asked for an understanding of what I could do to support Scott so that I could be kind and patient.  A couple of days later I started having terrible back spasms which made it almost impossible to sit for any length of time.  By the end of the day I felt like I could hardly take a deep breath and was exhausted as we left the archives each afternoon for home.  After two days of that it came to me that I now understood what he must feel like every day and yet he just keeps doing his job and doing it without a complaint.  I could now understand why he was so tired each afternoon and needed to take a nap to carry on.  I did express gratitude in my prayer that evening for helping me learn empathy and prayed that my back would get better.  The good news is my back spasms are gone and my appreciation for Scott is soaring high!  It has been a great week and we hope yours has been as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment