Sunday, November 15, 2015

Missionary Moments #63--Nov 15, 2015

This has been a great week for us and having Veteran's Day on Wednesday meant that the archives were closed so we were able to have a nice trip to Canada.  We left on Tuesday after work and drove to Burlington, Vermont where we spent the night and then continued on to Canada the next morning.  Canada was beautiful and definitely foreign to us since neither of us speak French!  Visiting the newly remodeled Montreal Temple was such a treat and it was a beautiful building.  I loved the feeling I felt inside as we walked through the various rooms of the temple.  It wasn't as large as the Boston Temple and a little smaller than the Redlands Temple but they definitely put beautiful touches throughout to remind us of the sacred experience we can have while there.  I have put some pictures on the blog and wrote a little more about our time in Canada.

This has been a week of reflection for me.  On Tuesday our missionaries came in to serve at the archives and they spent time preparing documents for us.  We have a new Sister and when they brought back the finished project she made the comment that she could never do this all day.  I replied to her comment by saying that at the beginning I felt that way but I have learned that when the Lord gives you an assignment you can do just about anything.  Amy forwarded me a email that a she received from a young woman who she worked with at church who is now at the MTC preparing to serve in Equador.  

In the letter she wrote:

Well. In case any of you were just DYING to know what I have been up to this past week, I will sum it up for you. Try to keep up. 
I wake up.
I run a mile or two.
I go to class.
I study.
I eat.
Then I study again.
I eat again.
I teach.
And study some more.
Then I sleep. 
Here is the craziest part.
I do the SAME THING all over again the next day.
It really is so amazing. I have learned lessons I never could have imagined I would learn. I love how much knowledge I have already gained. I am amazed at how much knowledge I have left to gain. I never want to stop learning. It is so fun! If only the public education system could teach with the Spirit. State test scores would go through the roof!

I couldn't have said it better than she did (Thank you Hermana Bryce!) and that pretty much summed up our days--with the exception of "running"!  In this process I have learned so much about myself, about Scott, about perseverance, and about what matters the most.  At work we spend the day doing the same things and pretty much living in our own little world and yet I have gained so much knowledge because as we work we put earphones on and listen to scriptures, talks, stories of people doing so many hard things.  We enjoy music that fills our souls and often can't help ourselves as we sing along. Sometimes I have to remind Scott to sing a little quieter!  I also find that my mind can wander into other things which gives me personal insight and perspective and I love that.  I have made it a goal to become a nicer person and this mission has shown me so many areas that I need to work on so I can achieve that goal!  To sum it up we do the same thing each day but each day is never the same!  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment