Sunday, December 13, 2015

Missionary Moments #67--Dec 13, 2015

 I don't doubt that you are sick of hearing about folders but here is our sad tale.  I am a little embarrassed to admit that I didn't understand what the director of the archives told us when our box of file folders came in.  On Monday we had used up the whole box and so I went back in to let him know we were ready for more folders.  He had to explain that there are no more folders because the kind he uses for the archives are on back order.  He was able to get us one box hoping that the rest would be in before we finished.  We finished, but the back order did not arrive.  Because of that we left work on Tuesday and have been trying to keep busy at the apartment.  

You may wonder what do you do when you can't go to work.  Well, at home that was not a problem!  And actually we have managed to fill our time with some good and probably not as good activities.  The first and most pleasant aspect of not going to the archives is that we have slept in every morning--wonderful!  I remember when I retired the thing I loved the most was not having the alarm go off to get me up and going.  I have been remembering that great feeling this week!  We headed to Manchester to the Barnes and Noble bookstore where we got some books for Scott to read and a new crossword puzzle book for him as well.  Then we went to the Hobby Lobby where I picked up several things for me to work on. We went to Nashua and had lunch one day and then I browsed at the Dress Barn.  On Friday we visited the post office with a package to be mailed and then ran errands around town.  Yesterday we drove to Portland and Booth Harbor Bay, Maine and had a great time.  In Booth Harbor Bay which is about half way between Augusta and Portland we enjoyed a Gingerbread House contest at an old Opera House in downtown Booth Harbor.  There were about 75 gingerbread houses decorated in numerous ways and I will be putting that on the blog some time today.   After we finished we had a wonderful lunch of fresh fish and shrimp before heading back home.  In preparation for our Saturday activity to Maine I decided I would decorate a gingerbread house as well so that is what I did on one of the days at home.  It is my turn to teach the Sunday school lesson today so I spent time working on that. We have been exercising each morning and afternoon.  And of course, we have watched a lot of reruns of NCIS!  

The missionaries are going to have their district meeting on December 24th and I asked if I could make a special Christmas lunch for them.  There are eight of them and so I have been planning my menu for that.  I will have everything ready and send it with the elders that morning. We love our hard working missionaries and always try to help them whenever we can.  This week we took the Sisters to dinner and then on Friday we took the Elders for Mexican food. Elder Sanders is from Chandler and loves Mexican food like us.  We were so surprised at the wonderful food we got at a local restaurant in downtown Concord called Hermanos.  It was amazing and we will definitely be going back again before we come home. Spending time with the Elders and Sisters reminds me how wonderful the gospel is and especially wonderful when you realize the quality of young men and young women who are serving the Lord because of the knowledge they have of obedience and commitment.  We truly stand all amazed!  Have a great week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment