Saturday, December 26, 2015

Missionary Moments #69--Dec 27, 2015

It is 2:15 in the morning and since I haven't been able to sleep I decided I would just get my missionary moments letter out in case I have to drag myself out of bed in the morning!  This has been a wonderful week even though we have nothing to report relating to our work in the archives.  We just spent our second Christmas away from our family and yet have had the joy of knowing that they are just a phone call away. What a reminder to all of us to not let the small things in life get in our way, to celebrate how blessed we are to have a family, and when it is time to do hard things we can do them.  Even more important is the knowledge that there will always be someone who is cheering us on!  

We enjoyed a movie date watching the newest Star Wars movie--saw Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher--who in my opinion have aged beautifully (they actually looked a lot like Scott and me!) and still are great Star Wars characters.  We had the privilege of taking the Sisters out to dinner on Tuesday and then the Elder's last night.  One of our wonderful missionaries, Elder Butler will be moving on this week and we will truly miss him. I understand how important missionary work is and have come to gain a great respect for the young men and young women who make a commitment to put life on hold so they can go out into the world and see what they are made of.  As the lady on my exercise video says "it's not easy--but it's worth it!"  When the new missionary comes on Tuesday I will worry about him until I see that he is growing more confident and comfortable in his new area.  On Thursday we provided a luncheon for the Elders and Sisters serving in the Concord and Canterbury district and it consisted of four elders and four sisters.  What a treat to be able to do something nice for them.  That evening we drove the Elders around to deliver cookies they and the sisters had made to people they have been teaching.  

You may wonder if we have been on any adventures and the answer is no.  I think we are pretty adventured out at this point.  It is probably because we know that in a couple of months we will be driving across country and believe me as exciting as it will be to head home being in the car all day will be a challenge!  We do have one more trip planned for January and that is to go back to Hartford, Connecticut so we can see the Temple which just recently had the Angel Moroni placed on top of it.  The big anticipation this week is the possibility of snow on Tuesday. I am so glad that the lack of snow didn't happen last year--they may have blamed us for bringing our California weather to the east coast!  I was so nervous last year about what it would be like but we survived and so I don't doubt that we can do the same this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment