Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Pondering

A couple of weeks ago in a class a discussion about trials and struggles came up.  One of the class members observed that we sometimes think we are the only one who has struggles and yet there are many people who struggle with disappointment, illness, employment, depression, etc.  In some ways that seemed to make everyone begin to discuss the fact that some one else struggling made it better knowing we were each dealing with our own challenges. The remainder of the class time I thought about what was said and now in fact, I am still thinking about it.  I decided I would share my thoughts on this subject.  Nothing profound--just pondering.

Why does someone else have to have a struggle so we can feel better?  When our son left the Church there was no comfort for me because someone else had a child who had done the same.  When my husband lost his job in his 50's I gained no strength to deal with that reality because someone else had lost their job.  The only real comfort I received was from those who prayed with and for us.  The real comfort came when I remembered that the atonement of Jesus Christ took the burdens I carried and made them lighter.  I don't want someone else to have struggles so "misery can have company."   I would like it most if no one had to suffer--but actually I wouldn't, because growth doesn't come to the complacent--it comes to the recipient of the realities we face in this life.  That adversity makes us strong and that strength can help others deal with their challenges because we may be able to say, "don't give up, you can get through this."  Even more than that is someone just saying, "I'll pray with you."

2 comments: