Saturday, July 30, 2016

A New Normal

I talked earlier about Scott's need for a shower at different times and last night I realized that there are many changes that are coming about which has me sometimes smiling and sometimes crying.  Before this new experience began I could set a clock by Scott when it came to habits.  At 9 p.m. each night he would start walking down the hall for bed and within minutes he I could hear him snoring away.  At 6 a.m. each morning he would be on his knees in prayer before taking his shower.  Dinner needed to be ready before 6 o'clock or he was in a meltdown!  Since we have been home and now dealing with the realities of Alzheimer's things have changed.  He sleeps so poorly now that I have really tried to keep him up at least until 10 p.m. thinking that that will help him sleep through the night, which doesn't work, but it was worth a try.  We had a busy Friday and at 8:30 he went in and got his pajamas on and headed to bed at 9 although I did try to keep him up a little longer.  From the time he went to bed until I followed at 11:00 he got up three times to ask me if he should go to bed.  When I got into bed at 11 he was asleep but as hard as I tried to be quiet he woke up and got up to use the bathroom.  Three more times from 11 to 11:30 he got up and went to the bathroom. Finally at 11:30 I heard the shower turn on.  That is our new normal!  Once he came back to bed I was able to fall asleep and slept until 4:30 when he got out of bed to use the restroom.  He came back and I asked if he was alright and he said he couldn't find the bathroom so I got out of bed and took him.  He came back to bed and then within five minutes he got up four more times each time telling me he couldn't find the restroom. Trying to be kind and patient I told him that he needed to stay in bed.  That became the next challenge because he tossed and turned so much that I no longer had covers so I got up and got a small blanket so I could sleep.  That worked for about 15 minutes and then he took the top sheet and handed it to me and was so wrapped up in the bedspread that he couldn't get comfortable.  I gave up and at 5 a.m. I had him get out of bed and sit on a chair while I remade the bed.  There is a happy ending!  We both fell asleep and slept until almost 7:00.  HOORAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment