Sunday, November 27, 2016

Thinking for Two!

I understood the concept of eating for two.  In fact when I was pregnant I lived up to the challenge-- unfortunately I often still do that!  Now fast forward my life to dealing with the realities of being a caregiver to a person with Alzheimer's disease.  I recently realized that now I often have to think for two.  Whenever I have a thought about what we are going to do I have to work in through in my mind for what I need to do and then I have to start the process again and think about what I need to do to help Scott maneuver through the process as well.

Yesterday we went to Walmart and as we were getting ready to check out he told me that he had to use the bathroom.  We were right by the restroom so I showed him where to go and then said I need to get a clock so while you use the bathroom I will go and pick one up.  Not my best thinking.  I had told him that when he comes out just wait by the entrance of the bathroom and I will pick him up.  I went and got the clock and then came back (which took less than two minutes) and he wasn't standing by the bathroom.  At first I thought he just hadn't finished up yet but I got in line right by the restroom area and watched for him to come. After about five minutes I knew there was a problem.  I had unloaded the things we bought and realized that I would have to ask for security to help me find him once I checked out.  Just as the clerk started to ring me up he walked up to the check-out with a terrible panicked look on his face.  I felt so bad for him and so bad for me.  He came out of the bathroom and he started looking for me and went outside thinking I had gone to the car.  Fortunately, it was raining so he came back in and then found me in line.

Little moments can change everything and the realization that we have to stay together even if it isn't always convenient came home to me yesterday.  I hope I get better at the double thinking in the coming years.  It definitely isn't as easy as double eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment