Sunday, March 19, 2017

Update for Banner Visit

I took Scott in for his 3 month appointment on Wednesday.  On the way to Arizona the Doctor's office called and asked us to come an hour earlier because he would need to retake all of the tests they gave him when we first started there.  The first time the doctor was surprised by how well he did and thought that he had something different than the Alzheimer's disease.  After the brain scan he said that the tests he had taken were an anomaly and that indeed he did have early onset Alzheimer's disease.  This time when he took the test he wasn't able to complete any of the tests correctly that he had previously been given.  When I came back into the room he looked so bad and told me that he "failed" everything.  I have seen a big decline the last few months so this wasn't a surprise to me.  I explained to him that what was important was that he tried. The Doctor we met with was really helpful and very encouraging.  After asking him and me numerous questions she said that his condition is now moderate and  although there isn't really a medication that will help improve his memory she gave us a good deal of information on what can be done to help him.  It is always interesting that when we leave I often feel good in spite of being told that reality is here and won't be improving.  Later in the evening Scott said, "I think that I am going to die."  At that moment I realized that although he doesn't always seem to realize what is happening he is aware that he isn't getting better.  I assured him that he isn't going anywhere soon and that I would be right by him to help him be safe and happy.  His response was, "oh good, thank you!"  From this point on they will give him the same battery of tests each time and we go back in September.

One problem that I want to mention was that he often chokes on water.  I talked to the Doctor about it and she brought out the tests and showed me something he had done.  This showed, she said, that the part of the brain that regulates swallowing is not reacting fast enough and when he drinks water the thorax doesn't close in time, hence his body reacts as if he is drowning and he coughs and gasps to get it cleared out.  In time she said that he will have to drink thicker liquids in place of water so that the brain can sense it and close the thorax up.  I remember thinking while she was saying all this what a miracle Heavenly Father created when he made the human body.  When we left the office we were given three brochures with an overview of what moderate Alzheimer disease entails and recommendations of what we will need to do to help make the process a little easier on Scott.  He is still my anomaly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment