Sunday, August 20, 2017

Am I Okay?

This is a question Scott asks me all day long.  I use to reply, "yes!" each time he asked me that but I started responding differently lately and now I say, "I don't know, are you okay?"  He always responds the same way, "I'm okay"!  For the last three days he has been in agony because his back has been a real problem and sadly, I added to the problem yesterday morning when I was getting him dressed and thought it would help him if I put an icy hot patch on his back.  I peeled the plastic off and then put it on his back and he absolutely screamed in pain and then fell into my arms and I put him down on the chair in the closet and then he passed out!  Once he came to he started talking gibberish and then began to heave and I was sure he was going to throw up.  Fortunately, that didn't happen.  Once he started to calm down and could sit up by himself I went and got a cool rag and washed the sweat off of his face and neck and then as his strength returned I finished getting him dressed.   Being a caregiver is not for the faint of heart and I am sometimes overwhelmed by how careful I have to be when I take care of him.  We didn't go to church this morning because he is in so much pain but while we were watching Music and the Spoken Word this morning the choir sang one of my favorite songs, If the Savior Stood Beside Me.  At one point Scott looked at me and he wanted to know if I thought the Savior ever stands beside him.  I replied, Yes, he does!

No comments:

Post a Comment