Thursday, March 15, 2018

A Hero

I have diligently scanned photos and documents related to our family into the Family Search program.  The project took about two weeks and I loved every minute of it.  I am excited to know that people searching for family related to them may be able to see pictures that they didn't know existed.  It has been a wonderful opportunity for me to remember those relatives that I had known and brought back many special memories that I had forgotten.  When I started scanning the documents I came across my Uncle Mickey's Discharge from the Navy.  As I went to put the document on the scanner I noticed another copy of his actual service record.  As I quickly scanned it I saw that he had received the Bronze Star medal.  He was part of the campaign which involved the liberation of the Philippine Islands.  I also found in the paperwork that at the time of his discharge he was in a Naval hospital in San Francisco.  Sadly, I never heard anything about any of this and like so many men of World War II they rarely spoke about their experiences so I only know that short glimpse into my Uncle Mickey's war record.

 He was always a hero to me.  He had a big smile, dark reddish-brown hair, and a freckled face.  He took David and I to the State Fair when I was 7 or 8 where I had my first frozen banana.  He let us ride on every ride we wanted to and we spent the whole day together.  He often visited our house and I loved it whenever he came over.  Uncle Mickey made a difference in my life and although he struggled because of alcohol addiction he did his best to be a positive part of my life.  And he was!

No comments:

Post a Comment