Thursday, September 10, 2026

September 11, 2001

I remember my dad telling me about the day Pearl Harbor was bombed.  He was 17 years old at that time and he said he was at a gas station when it was announced.  Everyone that came to the station couldn't believe something like that could ever happen. Two years later he was in the Army and eventually in Europe to fight in World War II.

Twenty five years ago I was in Florida as Christian and Amy were looking forward to having their new baby boy.  Everything went well and Lincoln Edward Whitney was born as the second plane crashed into the Twin Tower in New York City.  We had no idea what was happening.  I called the school Grandpa was teaching at and asked to speak to him to tell him about Lincoln.  The receptionist was kind of rude and asked what it was about which was definitely unexpected since school hadn't started yet.  She put me through and I told him about the birth.  I could tell by his voice he was upset so I asked what was wrong.  His response was "the United Stated is under attack."  I said, "What are you talking about!?"  The doctor was watching me and he shook his head verifying what Grandpa was saying.  It wasn't long before you could see the results every where you went.  The hospital was in lock down. The police were on every road and there was hardly any traffic.  When I went back to the hotel I was staying in, there was a large police presence.  Apparently  two of the suspected terrorists had stayed at the hotel and their room was being scoured over for any clues they may have left behind. (at least that what the receptionist told me.)  When I got back to my room I turned on the television and saw just how horrifying it was to see that plane full of people disappear into the side the the tower. Even moreso was to watch the towers crumble to the ground.   

Later when I was back at the hospital with Amy, Christian and Lincoln we talked a little bit about what had been happening.  Amy gave me an important reminder that even in the worst of times we can still have hope when we see a beautiful new born baby who brings so much joy in spite of the evil that is out in the world.  

For me the final moment of sadness came when I left Gainsville and went to the airport at Ft. Lauderdale to return to California.  There were soldiers with rifles throughout the airport.  I was glad they were there but believe me it wasn't comforting to know that there was even a possibility that another evil fanatic may come to destroy more innocent peoples lives.  I have to admit that our original five hour flight took twice as long due to cancelled flights and long layovers.  It was after 11:00 p.m. before we finally reached California.  I honestly felt like getting down on my knees and kissing the ground I was so grateful to have arrived safely back to Grandpa.

In the October 2001 Conference President Hinckley reminded us

"Let us be prayerful. Let us pray for righteousness. Let us pray for the forces of good. Let us reach out to help men and women of goodwill, whatever their religious persuasion and wherever they live. Let us stand firm against evil, both at home and abroad. Let us live worthy of the blessings of heaven, reforming our lives where necessary and looking to Him, the Father of us all. He has said, “Be still, and know that I am God”.

Are these perilous times? They are. But there is no need to fear. We can have peace in our hearts and peace in our homes. We can be an influence for good in this world, every one of us."

President Hinckley's words are just as important today as they were 25 years ago.  

No comments:

Post a Comment