Friday, August 9, 2024

Maine Day 9

Before we got on the road I got up early and hiked up a trail that leads to a carriage road (which is a road closed to cars used by bikes and joggers in the natural areas of the island). It was quiet and beautiful with lots of different trees and plants. There were also tons of mushrooms so I got lots of photos so I can try to identify them. It wasn't super birds but there were many of the usual suspects: chickadees, crows, nuthatches, robins, bluejays and vireos. The first highlight was a black and white warbler which was lucky because it was silent I just happened to see it working through a tree looking for bugs. Later I had really good looks at a pair of blue jays. I have been hearing them lots but this is the first good look I had. The highlight though was a bird I have been wanting to see for a long time. It is a ground dwelling warbler (they even build their nests on the ground) called an ovenbird. I had really good looks and was excited to finally see my first one. Important birdwatching out of the way we loaded up and headed for Boothbay, Maine. Our first stop was at a famous diner called Moody's Diner which is the source of the recipe Angela uses for whoopie pies. They had all the traditional diner foods, Caleb got a giant burger. Then we all got pie (or cake, Caleb got a chocolate peanut butter cake which was the highlight) and left with whoopie pies to go. Our next stop was at the Stoddard Shell Museum which was housed in a covered bridge between an ice cream stand and a mini-golf course in a rural area. There were lots of cool shells there. Our next stop was the coastal Maine botanical garden. It is a huge sprawling complex with lots of different types of gardens. Tons of beautiful plants and landscapes plus some giant wooden troll sculptures. After the gardens closed we headed to Portland where we saw a lighthouse just at the end of the day.











No comments:

Post a Comment