Sunday, May 7, 2023

Validation!!!

 I suspect some of you have commented about the use of exclamation points in much of my writing.  It's true and I make no excuses.  I LOVE THEM!!!                                                        

At the BYU commencement it just so happened that President Worthen addressed the use of ! in our society today.  The exclamation point has been called "the selfie of grammar".  Another critic wrote, "multiple exclamation marks...are a sure sign of a diseased mind."  But President Worthen pointed out, "with a single mark, an exclamation point can communicate powerful messages in a highly effective and efficient way."  The theory is that it originated as a way to convey a message of joy.  I believe that--and I'm a joyful person.  

President Worthen gave three reasons exclamation point usages is important to the class of 2023.  "First, when you see an exclamation point and reflect on its function...I hope you think of the importance of creating space in your daily life for things that give you eternal perspective."  "Second when you see an exclamation point, I hope you recognize that there is something in our eternal DNA that wants to exultingly celebrate good things.  And "Third, when you see an exclamation point, I hope you recognize the needs for resilience in your life, just as the exclamation point has survived and thrived...The exclamation point can remind us that as long as we have faith in Christ, the best is yet to come."

Dear family, I love each of you!  My life is full of joy because each of you are in my life.  I have been so greatly blessed and am often overjoyed by my many blessings.  I love exclamation points and even if you may think it's because of my deranged mind please enjoy that little punctuation mark that tells you everything about me.  

On a final note.  When it is time to return to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and Grandpa I want you to promise that under my name and the dates of my life you write on the next line...Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment