Sunday, December 10, 2017

Update

I haven't written much lately because it seems like so much is the same.  I realize that in spite of trying to be knowledgeable about Alzheimers I am never really prepared when something new occurs.  I told Amy that when that happens I am so stressed and upset until one day I just realize it is what it is and the grieving for the latest loss is doable.  Not fun, but doable!  Dad has started to get angry and sometimes threatening.  It isn't so much directed at me but it is frightening just the same.  His ability to converse is so limited now which I can tell it is painful for him.  Completing a sentence rarely happens and sometimes he will start telling me something and a bird might fly by and he will throw the word bird into the mix.  I think the anger he is expressing is just frustration because he can't tell me what he wants or what he feels.  I find myself agreeing with him even though I have no idea what he is talking about because I don't want him to feel any worse then he already does.  Sleeping is a little better.  I think he doesn't get up as early because it is too cold so he may get out of bed but comes right back in and waits until I am ready to get up.  He still loves to go out throughout the day and although he always wants to go to a store it isn't a particularly positive experience. The minute we walk in he wants to leave so browsing around isn't a good distraction anymore.  I miss the browsing!  After two different doctors appointments that didn't go very well I was concerned about taking him with me to get the oil changed.  Angela offered to have him stay with her while I went to the Lube and Tune down the street.  He wouldn't have any part of it and I gave up and brought him with me.  The people there were so nice and I explained that he didn't wait well because of his illness so would it be okay if we just stayed in the car until they were ready to change the oil.  Not only did they say that was fine but they had us stay in the car while they worked on it.  The young man was wonderful and although dad was a little upset that "nothing was happening" he handled it really well and liked seeing them moving around the car.  Perry sent me a link to a video last week called "Enduring Love."  It was a tear jerker but it reminded me that in spite of what is happening we can do this together.  Love does conquer all!  And I do love my sweet husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment