Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Sweet Moment

This morning we were going to go to see Duncan's music program with a plan to leave quickly if it didn't go well.  I wanted to get Grandpa cleaned up so after breakfast I shaved him and then to add to his anxiety I put him in the shower.  My thought was to just get it all done and not go through this again in a few days when he needed another shower.  By the time I had him cleaned up and dressed he was very unhappy with me to say the least.  He followed me down the hall and was yelling that he didn't like me and then the didn't like turned into "I hate you!"  I stopped and turned around and told him that I was not mad at him for what he was saying because I knew that there would come a time that when we meet again he would tell me "thank you for taking care of me and that he was sorry for the things he said when he was sick."  In an instant he stopped and tears came to his eyes and he said, "I will, I promise you I will tell you that."  In the end both he and I were in tears.  This is why I take care of Grandpa.  I know who he really is even though he has forgotten and in the end he will be 100% and I will be so happy to enjoy his sweet side again.   Duncan's program was wonderful and Grandpa loved every song they sang!

No comments:

Post a Comment