Saturday, January 4, 2020

Caregiver Tip

#28  Use Tools
I learned a hard lesson just over a year ago.  We had moved to Arizona and because of the newness of everything Grandpa was having a hard time becoming oriented to his new surroundings.  One evening I was building an Ikea bookshelf .  There was packing papers and other items from the project on the floor.  Half way through the project Grandpa yelled that he had to go to the bathroom.  I jumped up and went towards him to take him.  Unfortunately, I stepped on some papers on the floor and in an instant I was slammed to the ground.  As I hit the floor I heard the bone break and knew that I was in trouble.  I was in so much pain that I couldn't move.  I knew I needed help and asked Grandpa to go to the counter and bring me my phone.  His response was "what's a counter?"  I was in such a position that I couldn't point it out for him so I laid on the floor praying for ideas.  To add insult to injury a commercial came on the TV that starts, "Help!  I've fallen and I can't get up!"  This experience was a huge reality check for me.  It isn't just the person that you are taking care of but also the caregiver that can require help and with the lack of memory you may not be able to get the help that is needed.  I ended up with the fire department and police department and an ambulance parked in front of our house once I was able to sit up and point to the counter so Grandpa could bring me my phone.  (Just a side note:  When he got to the counter I told him to bring me my phone.  His response was "what's a phone?"  Then I told him to bring me whatever he sees on the counter--first I got my diet Coke,  then my wallet, and finally the phone!)   As a result of this I researched and purchased a Medical Guardian system so that if I had an emergency I could get the help I needed.  This year I returned the Medical Guardian and now have an Echo Dot in the living room, family room, our bedroom, and in the craftroom.  Now if something happens I can say "Alexa, call 911" and talk to the dispatcher from any room that I am in.  I also added a key lock box on our front door so that if I can't get to the door to open it I can give the code to the emergency personnel so they don't have to damage the door to enter.  I talked earlier about keeping it simple and I have also found items that will add to the ease for giving Grandpa the care he needs.  They have a shoe horn now that attaches to the back of the shoe so he can just slip his foot into the shoe without me having to struggle to get the heel on.  I can't thank the maker of Depends enough.  Grandpa has to be changed often through the day but now he isn't soaked and needing all new clothes each time.  Always keep a supply of wet wipes on hand as well.  I just purchased a hair cutting tool that works like a brush so I can trim his hair without him being aware that I am doing it.  I also purchased a good quality razor to shave him with.  When he does let me shave him I go as quick as I can and it works great for doing that.  My brother brought me a wheelchair that fortunately I haven't needed yet but it will be here when I do.  Because he is starting to struggle with swallowing the doctor gave me a liquid form of his seizure medication and another capsule that can be opened up and sprinkled on whatever he is eating.  These may seem like little things but they have made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment