Thursday, January 9, 2020

Caregiver Tip

#33  Say Thank You!
I loved this quote by President Monson.  "If ingratitude be numbered among  the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest virtues.  Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others."  I have had so much to be grateful for through this process and so many people who have lightened the load that I have chosen to carry.  I am continually reminded that there are so many good people in the world in spite of the evil that exists and sometimes dominates.

First let me tell you about the barber.  The first time I took Grandpa it was pretty chaotic as he thrashed about protesting loudly that he didn't like the experience.  As I left with a handsome haircut on Grandpa the owner followed me out and told me his daughter worked with people who had memory loss and gave me her card.  He encouraged me to make contact with her.  I did and she came over and spent well over an hour going through the process that was coming and giving me ideas and encouragement.  She left me with a list of programs that provide in home-care and even highlighted her favorites and the prices they charged.  She refused any money that I offered and told me her dad raised her to help whenever she could.   Next is Catherine who worked at the registers in Hobby Lobby.  The first time we went through her line she introduced herself and asked our names.  I told her and then she said, "from now on you will always be called by your first name when I see you."  And that is exactly what happened.  When she saw us she always called out hello Scott--hello Elaine!  She later told me that her Father had had Alzheimer's disease.  Hobby Lobby became my base for making friends.  So many kind people have been hired to work at the store that we shop at.  They are always excited to see us and we catch up on each visit.  One of those ladies has a mother with Dementia and her father is taking care of her so we always have many notes to compare.    Because I am able to get Grandpa to eat the best when we are in the car we go to several places to have a little variety in our fast food diet.  I love the people at the window who take a second to tell him hello (in spite of his loud protesting!)  They acknowledge him and encourage me to never feel like I need to apologize.  There is an employee at the McDonald's we go to who use to work at a care facility and she is wonderful with dad.  When I broke my shoulder the physical therapist was such a good listener that I was sorry when it was time to stop going.  Her father-in-law had just been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and she shared the struggles her mother-in-law was dealing with.  Just recently I was in Walmart.  I usually go through the self checkout because we aren't in close proximity of others.  This time I had more than I could handle and so I got in line which had several people in front of us with baskets full as well.  I just knew that it was not going to end well.  All of the sudden a sweet employee came to me and told me to follow her.  She took me to the express line and checked us out without a word.  I was so grateful that she did that and was thankful no one came in behind us to scold me for having to many items!  The list goes on and on and I haven't even mentioned wonderful friends who keep in contact and family who continually encourages and supports us through this process.

I read on Pinterest this quote.  "Never regret a day in your life.  Good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience, worst days give you lessons, and best days give you memory."  Since this illness became a part of our lives I have had happiness, experience, and lessons.  But the most wonderful thing I have been given is kind memories.  Thank you all who have been a part of this process so that the sweet has far outweighed the bitter.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment