Saturday, March 7, 2020

Update

I was thinking I should do an update on dad.  Hospice has been great and I am learning much on how to help dad.  For two weeks in a row he has had a shower and today I actually clipped his fingernails.  I especially appreciated that because his nails are like daggers when he grabs onto me!  Earlier this week the doctor took him off of the medication he was on (and I thought was useless) and switched it to another anti-anxiety medication.  The good news is that he takes it--the bad news is he takes it.  I now have two choices.  Give him the medication and a zombie is born.  Don't give him the medication and the screaming banshee visits.  Neither is ideal and the guilt I feel when he is almost non-functioning is really painful to watch.  With or without the medication he still takes an afternoon nap which is good and he still is sleeping pretty good at night.  On a lighter note this morning while he was in a little period of rage he came to me and said in a very loud voice, "Elaine, Elaine I"M A MORMON!"  He is and I was grateful he remembered!  On another note twice this week he went to bed for the night and for about 45 minutes he talked to someone and laughed and laughed.  It was so neat to hear him having such a pleasant conversation.  Most of the time his words weren't distinguishable but the laughter and chuckling were heart warming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment