Saturday, January 1, 2022

Just a Thought

I have been listening to an audio book about President Eyring and the last chapter of the book was about
his wife.  She has dementia now and as I listened to his thoughts about her it was bittersweet.  Before her illness she often spoke along with him at conferences and at other occasions.  I loved a particular story she shared in a talk she gave.   Sister Eyring told the experience of a mother who had hired a babysitter to come and watch her children because she had a meeting to attend in the evening.  She told the babysitter that each night before the children went to bed she would read them several stories and then sing them a song before she turned off the light.  When she returned home that evening the babysitter told her that she didn't need to read to the kids because she just put them to bed and told them to go to sleep as she turned off the light.  She chastised the mother that she was doing way to much each evening and just needed to do what the babysitter had done.  Without reply she thought to herself, "I don't want to put them to sleep, I want to love them to sleep."  This story also brought back some sweet memories I had of Grandpa.  He was always the reader and I still remember listening to him read to each of you when you were little.  I know you loved having him read but in all actuality he loved reading to you even more.  Often when we traveled together later in life and before we had a CD player in the car he would read a book to me when I was driving to pass the time.  In my experience of being around each of your families I have seen that picture play out as well.  It is a sweet reminder of what is truly important.

No comments:

Post a Comment