Thursday, May 5, 2022

On the Road

I had a very interesting and I realized after the fact, it was a much-needed experience.  I picked up a passenger and after a few minutes of visiting found out that he had been the caregiver of his father who had passed away from Alzheimer's disease.  I was going to share some of the conversation but as I tried to put it in words it was to painful  All I will share is that he told me of his regrets and his wish that he could have been more patient and cherished the time better when he was caring for his dad.  It was so nice to reassure him and share some of the regrets and struggles that I had had.  I love driving people to medical appointments and as is often the case I get much more from the experience than I give.

He did share a story that was actually very interesting that I can share.  When he was a young adult he was driving his father's truck.  He was pulling a trailer behind it and he came up to a sharp curve in the road and was driving to fast.  He braked so hard it caused the truck and trailer to jackknife.  The truck was totaled and his father wasn't happy with him.  He scolded him (after, I'm sure, he was sure his son was okay) and then joked with him that for damaging his truck someday he (the dad) was going to die on his birthday.  Many years later the family was having a birthday party for my passenger.  The phone rang and his sister answered.  She was told that her father had passed away.  When she told everyone what had happened he remembered their earlier conversation and smiled.  His dad was true to his word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment