Wednesday, May 18, 2022

On the Road

New Friends.  C.S. Lewis wrote, “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, What! You too?  I thought I was the only one.”   This week has been such a wonderful reminder of how much we all just want to have someone to talk to and feel validated when we find someone who thinks the way we do.  For that reason, I have had a plethora of amazing new friends join me for a short visit before they exit my car and go on with their lives and I go on with mine.  The truth is that it is not uncommon now since I have been driving for a while to have repeat passengers.  I am honored when they remember me and they are so happy to see me again.  I feel exactly the same way.  In a matter of minutes, we catch up on what has been happening and an animated conversation continues.  Today I picked up a lovely lady who five years ago had a stroke.  She was required to learn again how to walk and talk and much of her memories are no longer available to her.  In spite of that she was so delightful and when we arrived at the drop off location, she opened the car door to get out and then stopped, looked back at me, and said, “You’ve got my number and if anybody gives you any trouble you let me know and I’ll take care of them.  I’ve got your back!”  I don’t have her number because when the ride is over any record of the person in my car is gone but it felt so wonderful to know that she stopped for a brief minute to say—I care about you!  I love all my new friends.  I hope they feel the same way about me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment