Saturday, November 5, 2022

On This Corner

Growing up in the 50's was a wonderful experience.  Much of our travels involved walking wherever we went and going very far from home was definitely not typical.  On a corner about a half a mile from where we lived was the center of our universe.  Our grocery store, drug store, five and dime store, and the barber shop was all on that corner.  In the summer the bookmobile came each week and that was where I found my love of mysteries as I read every Nancy Drew mystery I could get.  My mother worked at the soda fountain in the drug store right next to the Bayless grocery store.  Each Sunday I would go with her to get the groceries for the week.  About every six months a small amusement park would show up and I still remember my embarrassment when on the final drop on the Ferris wheel I lost the hot dog I had eaten a few minutes before.   Across the street from this store front was my elementary school that I attended for eight years (I didn't get held back, there wasn't a middle school--and no kindergarten either).  Next to the school was a drive in theater.  In the summer many of my friends and I would sit on the swings on the playground and watch the movie playing that week.  I often walked to the school to see my older brother play baseball.  Across from the school was a Dairy Queen (still there!) and if I ever had a dime I would head over for an ice cream cone before heading home.  It was a great time and a great place to grow up!

No comments:

Post a Comment