Sunday, January 1, 2023

Happy New Year!

It has been an interesting year with lots of twists and turns.  So many wonderful events occurred and our family grew again.  I brag to people all the time about my 21 grandkids and now I boast a little more that I have 24!  Thank you Rachel, Ellis, and Owen.  I have driven many many miles during this past year and have met with so many diverse personalities.  I have laughed with some, cried with others, and been ignored by a few but it has been a wonderful experience in which I was able to connect with people that I would probably not have even noticed before.  I have bore a subtle testimony to many that Heavenly Father and Jesus loves them.  I have spoke of eternal marriage, the blessing we have of having children in our lives, and have been able to celebrate with some who have been drug free for a good amount of time.  I have been able to be kind and I have received kindness in return.  

I learned while taking care of Grandpa how important kindness is.  He and I received many experiences of love and patience as I took him out in public.  From that experience I made a commitment to go out of my way to acknowledge people I interact with and have seen their faces light up when I thank them for helping me.

The last day of the year I decided I would go to Jack in the Box and have a Teriyaki Rice Bowl for my last meal of 2022.  When I drove up and gave my order, the girl repeated it back to me and I said that was right, then thanked her for helping me.  I could hear in her voice that she was touched and surprised by what I said.  When I got to the window and paid for my food, I again thanked her for being so helpful. She passed my card back and gave me my drink and then a minute latter she handed two bags out the window.  I didn't know what would have been in the second bag and when I looked in, there was a slice of cheesecake.  I got her attention and said that I think I got a cheesecake that was meant for someone else.  She said no, "it's for you for being so nice."  What a wonderful way to end a year.

Can I ask each of you parents and grandchildren to add one item to your list of goals for the coming year.  Be kind to the people you come into contact with.  A smile, an encouraging word, recognition of good service or a job well done doesn't cost us anything.  But it can be priceless to those who receive recognition that you appreciate them.  Bring on 2023!  

No comments:

Post a Comment