Friday, January 6, 2023

William Franklin Lambert

 June 29, 1943--January 5, 2023

Bill and Elaine 1950
My brother and my dear friend died this week.  He was a north star for me.  When I struggled as a teenager and he was serving in Brazil as a missionary, he wrote me a letter.  In it he told me to stay close to the church and never sell myself short.  That letter meant everything to me.  He was seven years older than me but as we both grew older that difference in age meant very little.  All my friends thought my brothers were so cute.  I didn't get it but was always quietly proud when they would say it.  Bill was one of the hardest working people I knew.  I don't think I can remember a time when he didn't have some kind of a job.  Our family was so proud when he went to Brigham Young University.  When he came home and told my parents he wanted to serve a mission my father was not happy about it.  He wanted him to finish college and then go on a mission.  My brother promised my dad he would graduate from college when he returned.  He did just that.  From there he had a stellar career in the Air Force as a navigator on the B52 bomber.  His career didn't end in the Air Force.  When he resigned his commission he attended law school at Gonzaga University.  While he attended law school he also served as a Bishop.   He married Bev in the Oakland Temple on January 30, 1971.  They had four children--Ryan, Clayn, Eryn, and Wynn.  Bill and Bev moved their family to Lewiston, Idaho where he worked as a prosecuting attorney for the city until he retired.  From there he and Bev moved to Sierra Vista.  They served two missions.  One in Brazil and one in Slovenia.  Bill was a wonderful story teller and it never mattered how many times I heard one of his stories I loved it.  He adored Bev and was so proud of his children and grandchildren.  I will miss our long phone calls but I am grateful he no longer has to deal with the pain and his limited mobility.  It gives me such comfort to know that he is having a huge family reunion with his parents, grandparents, and of course Grandpa!  I don't doubt that he will hear the words "well done my good and faithful servant."

No comments:

Post a Comment