Thursday, April 20, 2023

Did You Know?


I don't know if you are aware that your Grandma stopped a school bus from crashing into a house and kept almost 40 kids from being injured.  It is true!  While working at Green Tree East one of my responsibilities was to work with the district's transportation department.  I was also responsible for student behavior.  One of the things I made a point of doing each month was to ride the bus with the students.  I found that the bus drivers loved it when I did and the students actually liked me on the bus.  Once the bus was emptied the driver would drive me back to the school and drop me off.  On one of those drives I had a very scary experience.  At the first stop, the driver stopped the bus and opened the door and then exited to cross students once they left the bus.  I was visiting with the kids around me when the bus started rolling forward.  We were on a small incline and apparently the driver hadn't put the parking brake on correctly and so it began to move.  The driver was off the bus and students started screaming.  As I realized what happened I jumped up and started towards the front of the bus.  I was pushing kids back into their seats and yelling for everyone to sit down.  Ahead I saw that we were heading straight to house.  As the bus hit the curb and headed down into the house I reached the front and prayed that the bus would stop in time.  I grabbed the steering wheel, put both feet on the brake and pushed as hard as I could.  The bus stopped about 8 inches away from the garage door.  The children cheered and I thanked Heavenly Father that we were all safe.  I kept my feet on the brake until the driver got there to put the brake on correctly.  Once I was able to get up I apologized to all the kids for pushing them out of the way and yelling!  The next day I had a number of parents come in to thank me fort saving their child and I even got flowers from one family.    

No comments:

Post a Comment